10th until 20th of May 2018
Kannavia village, Nicosia District, Cyprus
Unemployment today is one of the biggest issues for the young people. Inspired by our cultures and the community of the villages we come from, we want to explore alternative ways of employment while at the same time we get to know better our cultural identity. “From TRADition to Employment: food products” with an acronym : “Trade Cuisine” will guide participants to food-related traditions and professions, providing them with inspiring ideas regarding employment and entrepreneurship and empowering them with skills and self-confidence for fighting today’s unemployment. We focus on food practices because there is an advancing need to return to healthier lifestyles. Also, traditional food professions and products have long history in the villages, such as the one hosting this exchange as well as the home towns of many of the participants, and we believe we have a lot to share with, and receive from, all partner countries. This project provides also the opportunity to connect with the eldest of the community that carry valuable knowledge on these traditions, as well as, involve youth and other residents of rural areas. We aim to connect these communities at not only local or national level but also European, taking full advantage of the impact of a European youth exchange.
“Trade Cuisine” involves 36 young participants from Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Romania, Italy and Greece is primarily oriented to youth in risk of unemployment or with certain geographical or economic obstacles. It will be particularly promoted to young people in rural areas as well as young people willing to explore the entrepreneurial path through tradition and culture.
Our activities will be based on hands-on workshops about traditional food recipes and meal preparation, healthy eating habits, entrepreneurship ideas and examples of good practices. We will also organize entrepreneurial study visits, workshops with local practitioners (young and elder) and presentations of different practices amongst the participating countries. Project activities will further focus on enhancing creativity and personal development of participants through a variety of games, role-plays, team-building activities, group discussions, brainstorming, and everyday reflective sessions. To encourage inter-cultural dialogue and bonding we will organize cultural evenings and spend time together learning the basics from each other’s music, dance, and language. We will further organize a one-day exhibition of our products and activities to disseminate results and exchange ideas with the local community. Making use of the social media, we will maintain a platform of shared practices for facilitating dissemination in our home countries and encourage future collaborations.
Objectives of the project:
- Foster entrepreneurship and fight unemployment
- Increase creativity and contribute to personal development of participants
- Provide theoretical and practical knowledge of food-related professions and products
- Communication in foreign languages: During the cultural evenings and throughout the exchange participants will be exposed to and encouraged to learn at least some basics of each other’s language.
- Increase understanding of intergeneration: Young people will learn from the eldest about traditional ways of cooking and food preservation and the eldest will experience the youth.
- Establish European friendships and network amongst participants
- Improve cross cultural understanding and European citizenship
- Inclusion of people with fewer opportunities: this is a practical workshop with no previous experience or skills required. It is thus welcoming people with fewer opportunities
- To enhance the sense of initiative
- Histerico – Associacao de Artes (Portugal)
- Horizons For Youth (Greece)
- Xeracion Valencia (Spain)
- Asociatia Tinerilor Cu Initiativa Civica (Romania)
- Associazione Culturale Beyond Borders Corato (Italy)